September 27, 2017
Join the HHS Center for Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships for Opioids: Recovery, Prevention, & Hope: National Experts Equip Faith and Community Leaders
Today, September 27 | Live Stream, 1:00 pm ET | Host your own local conversation, 2:00 pm ET
In This Issue:
- HHS/OMH, OMHRC: Webinar. Niños saludables: Addressing Childhood Obesity among Latinos. Join OMH, OMHRC, Unidos US and UT Health San Antonio as they highlight the prevalence data and explore the factors, such as culture, behavior, and environment, that have contributed to the increase of obesity in Latino children of all ages over the past 30 years. October 12, 2017, 2:00 pm ET. Register.
- HHS/Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA): Health Center Program’s Service Area Competition. Deadline is October 10, 2017. Learn more.
- HHS/HRSA: Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Part A HIV Emergency Relief Grant Program. Deadline is October 30, 2017. Learn more.
- HHS/HRSA: Health Center Program’s Service Area Competition. Deadline is November 6, 2017. Learn more.
- National Rural Health Resource Center/Rural Health Innovations: Small Rural Hospital Transition (SRHT) Project Application for Onsite Consultation. The SRHT Project assists small rural hospitals in transitioning to value-based care and Alternative Payment Models such as patient-centered medical homes and hospital shared saving plans, as well as prepare hospitals for population health management. Deadline is October 16, 2017. Learn more.
- Prevent Blindness: Jenny Pomeroy Award for Excellence in Vision and Public Health. This award is presented annually to an individual, team, or organization that has made significant contributions to the advancement of public health related to vision and eye health at the community, state, national and/or international level. Deadline is October 27, 2017. Learn more.
Scholarships / Fellowships / Internships / Mentoring
- National Hispanic Health Foundation: Hispanic Health Professional Scholarship Program. Open to graduate students in medicine, pharmacy, public health, dental schools, and BSN or higher nursing schools/programs. Deadline is October 6, 2017. Learn more.
- Health Equity Initiative (HEI): 2018 Partnership Summit Community Leadership Scholarship. Provides full day admission to the HEI Engaging New Allies in the Health Equity Movement summit, as well as travel expenses. Deadline is October 15, 2017. For further information, please contact email@example.com.
- Rutgers University-Newark: Minority Biomedical Research Support (MBRS) Program. This program aims to help fill the nation’s shortage of minority men and women in biomedical research careers. MBRS undergraduate or doctoral students will be mentored by Rutgers-Newark faculty members to perform biomedical and/or behavioral laboratory research. Open deadline. Learn more.
- HHS/OMH, Office of Minority Health Resource Center (OMHRC), in collaboration with the Paiute Tribe of Utah Health Department: Tribal Grant Writers Training. Event to be held October 31-November 2 in Drive Cedar City, UT. Deadline for registration is October 25, 2017. For further information and to register, please contact Elton Naswood.
- The Muckleshoot Behavioral Health Program: Registration now open for the 7th Annual Northwest Tribal Opiate Symposium. The program will include: King County Opiate Task Force recommendations, a Tribal Medical Directors program overview, Washington state drug trends, and harm reduction. Space is limited to 4 attendees per tribe. November 9, 2017 in Auburn, WA. Learn more.
- Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum: Updated resource. Protect Yourself and Your Baby from Zika. This website, available in English, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Tagalog and Urdu, offers Zika prevention tips, as well as a toolkit and other resources. Learn more.
- AEIMforward Tech Services and partner organizations: Registration open for the 5th Annual United States Conference on African Immigrant and Refugee Health (USCAIH), Advancing the Health of African Immigrants through Research, Advocacy and Community Engagement. October 5-8, 2017 in Washington, DC. Learn more.
- HHS/OMH, OMHRC: Training. University – Vision, Design and Capacity (U-VDC) Grant Writing Workshop. Learn to write winning grants and build sustainable partnerships to improve minority health. This workshop is intended for university/college junior faculty, staff, and health professionals. For further information, please contact Tamara Henry. October 26-27 at Northern Arizona University in Flafstaff, AZ. Register.
Opportunities for Publication
- The Health Research & Educational Trust, in partnership with HHS/Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ Office of Minority Health (CMS OMH): Call for papers for a Health Services Research (HSR) theme issue on health equity. All manuscripts must follow the HSR Instructions for Authors. Abstracts of no more than 250 words should be submitted to Dr. Beth Watts by November 1, 2017.
- HHS/Office of HIV/AIDS and Infectious Disease Policy (OHAIDP): Webinar. National Viral Hepatitis Action Plan Priority Populations, Part 2. The second webinar in this series–which discusses the National Viral Hepatitis Action Plan 2017-2020–will include perspectives from members of the priority populations (baby boomers, American Indian/Alaska Natives, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, African Americans, and pregnant women) and the health care professionals who work with them. September 28, 2017. Register.
- HHS/Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP): Call for comments on the proposed Healthy People 2030 framework. Deadline is September 29, 2017. Learn more.
- US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF): Call for comments on the Draft Research Plan for Hepatitis C Virus Infection in Adolescents and Adults: Screening. Deadline is October 18, 2017. Learn more.
- HHS/ODPHP: Webinar. Preventing Adverse Drug Events (ADEs): Measuring Progress on the ADE Action Plan. The ADE Action Plan establishes new measures to achieve by 2020 around opioids, hypoglycemic agents, and anticoagulants. September 28, 2017, 2:00 pm ET. Register.
- Rural Health Information Hub (RHIhub): Twitter chat. Join RHIhub for a #RuralHealthChat: Opioid Use in Rural Areas. September 28, 2017, 2:00 pm ET. Learn more.
- Ball State University is currently recruiting for the position of Department Chairperson in the Department of Nutrition and Health Science. Position is based in Muncie, IN. Deadline is October 11, 2017. Apply.
- Obesity in the Early Childhood Years, subtitled State of the Science and Implementation of Promising Solutions, Workshop Summary, summarizes a meeting of the National Academies Roundtable on Obesity Solutions. It captures observations made throughout the meeting on this pressing topic in children’s health. Ultimately, the workshop summary shows that interventions and solutions around nutrition, physical activity, and promoting healthy lifestyles overall, with support and engagement from communities and their institutions, can improve the health of children from birth through age 5. To view this title and find additional information, search our online catalog.